Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Salsa Verde

I am not posting a produce picture this week as it is so similar to last week.
So, here are some tomato plants instead. I can't wait until they are in full production!
 


TOMATILLOS
If you guessed tomatillo as the mystery fruit on the blog last week, you were right. This is our first year growing them and while they may not ready this week for distribution, they should be soon. Tomatillo appears to be related to the tomato but it is actually part of the nightshade family and closely related to the cape gooseberry. They originated in Mexico and are a staple in Mexican cooking. I made a salsa verde last week where I roasted tomatillos, jalapenos, onion, and garlic in the oven and then blended them with lime juice, salt, and pepper. It was a bit bitter for my taste (maybe I over roasted them or maybe they were a bit under ripe). Either way, here is a raw recipe that I want to give a try.

Blend together:
9 tomatillos, husks removed
juice of 1/2 a lime
1 Tbs pickled jalapenos (more if you like it hotter) - I may try a bit of fresh pepper.
1 bunch of cilantro
1 small raw zucchini
pinch of sea salt

I like that this recipe calls for zucchini too since we are starting to get into squash season.

Happy eating,
Kara

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment